User talk:Sam Spade/ - archive/April 2005 2
Thanks for the welcome message. That's a very handy list of links. I'm sure they'll help a lot. Fifty 22:53, 26 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Same here, thanks for the welcome message. Kindly appericated. KTC 23:03, 3 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Ditto. The tutorial link was very useful. Jonnabuz 11:58, 6 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Sam, was it Dashiel Hammett who invented Sam Spade? Thanks for the welcome message. I had been learning as I went along, with predictable results :)
- Yes, indeed it was! Glad to have you, Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 11:30, 13 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Thanks, man; those are great Mcsweet
- Cool~! Sam Spade 23:14, 17 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for the links, had been reading up anyway but more info is allways good, bit of an infomaniac here anywat :) MttJocy 09:45, 19 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Right right, cheers, Sam Spade 10:16, 19 Apr 2005 (UTC)
AMI? What is this thing?
Sam, I have been very busy but just read some of your and Wally's input on the AMI. Who are these people and why are they doing this? Why does everyone think we cannot help someone who is trying to deal with a problem user on WP? Where did the idea that we were a legal aid society come from? That was never my intention and it is certainly not the one sided approach to advocacy that can help make better advocates.
Regarding you comment on the Coordinator's talk page, I think it is time for an election. I have no problem stepping down if someone else wants the job or if someone wants to restructure the AMA to make it more efficient. I don't have time to do a clean-up for the requests for assistance and the jist of our last discussion was that we would put a system in place to encourage individuals to contact advocates directly, but it seems that is not working and it is being suggested that because these requests are appearing that it is somehow the AMA's fault because these people do not contact advocates directly. Wally is suggesting the need for another meeting, have any time constraints? User:Alex756 00:43, 5 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Saw it already this morning first thing. Big improvement in stratagy, and I bet it's one FM wasn't seriously expecting. He's going to be flabbergasted for days! :)
It takes a big man to dare to use the word "Apologise" at all. :-P
Kim Bruning 11:22, 5 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Well, too bad for FeloniousMonk. He was rather less than forthcoming. I noted several outs for him in your statement, and he chose not to use any of them , and instead to add some more insults in your direction instead. Ah well. Don't bother replying I think. :-) Kim Bruning 15:03, 5 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Hmm, on the other hand, he did leave a message at User:Mel Etitis' user page for me (and you, I suppose). Let me think about this for a bit. Kim Bruning 15:12, 5 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for the welcome
Thanks for the welcome. I don't know how much time I'll have to contribute, but I've done a lot of independent research on some real niche subjects over the years and would love to share it. I'm not yet ready to take on something like starting a new page, so I'll just pick nit on some of the existing stuff for a while. User:PBCliberal (sig added by (Sam Spade | talk | contributions) 19:31, 5 Apr 2005 (UTC))
- Thanks much. Let me know when you'd like to have a meeting or whatnot, and I'll do my best to make it. BTW I am planning on starting my own detective service, nothing in contridiction of the AMA, but rather auxilery to it. Something like Spade & Archer ;) (Sam Spade | talk | contributions) 11:03, 7 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Bravo Sam, great idea! The Spade Detective Agency is a good way to promote all your good works and certainly not in contrary to the AMA at all. Really just in the spirit of the AMA, which was just designed to be a clearinghouse, not an enterprise. Glad to see you taking some initiative in a creative way. — © Alex756 06:48, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Its been working out really well so far, with interest from the public and evidence flowing in by email. Its certainly achieving its intended purpose, which is giving me a way to maintain and coordinate my advocacy and intellegence gathering while remaining an active encyclopedia editer. I am greatful for your blessing, and am looking forward to our next meeting. Cheers,
- Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 10:45, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
The dispute, Kevehs vs. Sam Spade
I had the ilusion that your counterparts were related, since that is not the case I created this template. I am an informal mediator meaning I am just trying to help and I have no official basis. In my opinion the official mediation process is overbooked. You are welcome to use User:Coolcat/Mediation C-TAC-01B, however Kevehs is currently wants the official process, if that does not resolve or is inadequate or if you want to try something different let me know. I aplogise for my late response, things came up... --Cool Cat My Talk 21:40, 6 Apr 2005 (UTC)
thanks for the welcome, I'm already active on nl, just fix some mistakes on en here and there :) Henna 23:38, 8 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Great, glad to have you! Maybe you could help w Wikipedia:Pages needing translation into English, Wikipedia:Translation into English and/or Wikipedia:Translators available? Not to be pushy, but were in desperate need of translaters! I think Wikipedia:Contributing to articles outside your native language and the multi-language aspect of the wiki are some of the very best aspects of the project, and a good method for studying other languages as well. Cheers, Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 23:40, 8 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- And now I even have User:Sam Spade/multilingual! Woohoo! ;D Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 21:05, 9 Apr 2005 (UTC)
thanks for the welcome Symes 03:13, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Indeed, glad to have you. Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 10:41, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- OK, will do, thanx. Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 15:51, 11 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Please stop adding a duplicate RfC; if you just look down the list a little you will see that I added Golliwogg some time ago (as I also stated on the talk page). Mel Etitis (Μελ Ετητης) 22:09, 11 Apr 2005 (UTC)
on RickK, FYI
I'm 220.127.116.11 20:02, 12 Apr 2005 (UTC)
I've come to the conclusion that, in a given period of time, Rickk, rather than do 100 things with no mistakes in judgement, does 1000 good thing with 10 mistakes. Not bad for a volunteer.
I started watching for his edits off and on after the following encounter at 
my reversion of your edit on Jeff Gannon has nothing to to do with vandalism, and all to do to the fact that it was ungrammatical, with an inappropriate inline link to an external website, and a repeat of information already mentioned above. RickK 06:03, Feb 11, 2005 (UTC)
It was not ungrammatical, inline links to external website's are appropriate, and the owner of the two sites no where else exists on the page. You are as much a liar as Bush.
What part of Talon News, a virtual organization (no physical office, newsroom, etc.) with a handful of volunteer "reporters", and owned by the Web site GOPUSA. "Talon News apparently consists of little more than Eberle, Gannon, and a few volunteers does not already say what you said? RickK 06:13, Feb 11, 2005 (UTC)
" "Robert Eberle ... is the president and CEO of both GOPUSA ... and Talon News." is what you deleted. Are you new to English or what? Where is "president and CEO" or the first name "Robert" in "Talon News apparently consists of little more than Eberle, Gannon, and a few volunteers". Edit the two without losing data if you wish, but don't just arrogantly delete relevant data!
I've reformatted the article to match Wikipedia standards. RickK 06:28, Feb 11, 2005 (UTC)
Don't include quotes from the external links next to them, that's not Wikipedia policy. Label the link and let the reader take what they will from the linked article. RickK 21:36, Feb 11, 2005 (UTC)
I don't believe you. If you are right provide a link to proof. Counter examples exist THROUGHOUT wikipedia. Link to a policy page saying it is NOT to be done. I do not believe there is a Wikipedia policy to never describe what is to be found at an external link site. I think you are LYING. Any link to any Wikipedia policy concerning external links would advance this conversation.
This discussion motivated me to search for the policy myself. The only policy is guidance (not rules) at  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Describe_external_links).
An example there of the CORRECT WAY to list external liks is:
- The Memory Hole (http://www.thememoryhole.org/) by Russ Kick, a website which "exists to preserve and spread material that is in danger of being lost, is hard to find, or is not widely known"  (http://www.thememoryhole.org/about.htm). It is regularly updated with new documents, which are often obtained by the editor himself through Freedom of Information Act requests. The site also provides links to reports on external sites.
I'll assume you honestly believed your mistaken notions and accept your apologies.
Please restore my external links to being PROPERLY DESCRIBED. Feel free to edit the descriptions (of course), but deleting them is VANDALISM.
Stop calling differences of agreement vandalism. Your example does not say that you should put a full paragraph of quotes from the linked article in the description. If you want to cut it down to one or two sentences, that's fine, but the quotes are excessive. RickK 08:37, Feb 12, 2005 (UTC)
Done, as requested. I hope our future encounters are more pleasant for BOTH of us.
- Sounds about right, with how many people he's annoyed rick would be in alot more trouble if he did more wrong than a few interpersonal conflicts now and again. Glad I can help guys, have a good one. Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 11:29, 13 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Thank you, Sam
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be posting like a pro in short order. Iflipti 15:52, 13 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Exactly. Glad I can be of service, cheers, Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 19:59, 13 Apr 2005 (UTC)
(William M. Connolley 09:30, 14 Apr 2005 (UTC)) Thanks for the archiving on t:GW. Was 413k a record? :-)
- Its the biggest I ever saw, thats for sure. Maybe it ought to be chopped into a few separate archives, but I don't have the interest ;) I already moved it once because I archived it wrong :/
- Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 10:02, 14 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for your note! User:Arnold Perey (sig added by Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 11:47, 15 Apr 2005 (UTC))
- Glad to have you! Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 11:47, 15 Apr 2005 (UTC)
We Meet Again...
It looks like I am now the first and most recent person to leave a note on your talk page. I just wanted you to know that I responded to what I feel was an unfortunate suggestion you made on Wikipedia:Votes for deletion/Sam Spade/Detective agency. You seem to think that my politics should decide if my user page ought to be deleted, and further that anonymous posters are a good source of info regarding what my politics are. I reject both suggestions. For example, your user page says your Mormon. Would it be acceptable for your user sub-pages (like say User:Trödel/LDSAnon) to be deleted if Anti-Mormons found them objectionable? Or how about if User:CrazyLiar tells me that your a Satanist? Would that mean that I could morally and legitimately join such postulated anti-Mormons in voting to have your page deleted? The answer to all the above is no. We have satanic wikis, we have communist wikis, and we have anarchist wikis. There is nothing special about Nazi's or white (or black) power wiki's that allows them or their user pages to be persecuted, at least not according to policy. Frankly I find the very suggestion offensive and solidly against my very reason for being here (access to and production of NPOV factually accurate information). In conclusion, if you insist on judging me by my politics, please at least have the decency to find out what they are (User:Sam Spade/Theoretical Biases). God be with you,
Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 12:52, 15 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- I said nothing of the sort - in fact I defended you right to have the page regardless of your politics. However, as you know, wikipedia should not be disrupted to prove a point. Thus, if there was proof that the research group was a front for Stormfront then I would vehmenently oppose it. Trödel|talk 14:54, 15 Apr 2005 (UTC)
That would seem to involve making decisions regarding user pages based on politics. On a different note, I take it you prefer the wikilinks on your user page to run together? Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 15:01, 15 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- I disagree - an organized group (attack) who tried to push a particular POV without the open discussion that a wiki provides is a potential disruption to the goals - to create an encyclopedia - if moveon.org discussion groups made the same threat I would have used theirs as well. * As to my user page - must have somethign to do with the way it renders for you (skin or something) as they all are in nice 3 column bullets for me. I am using Cologne blue I believe - what are you using - maybe I'll redesign to take other skins into account Trödel|talk 15:09, 15 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Yeah, I was starting to think it must look different on your browser, I have firefox. As far as the organised attack bit, I would agree if an organisation planned an attack, but all stormfront did was encourage its users to join the wikipedia in order to encourage NPOV. That mainly involved what they saw as balancing various articles on holocaust revisionism and voting to keep jewish ethnocentrism. There was no suggestion to vandalize or disrupt intentionally. I'm not a member of stormfront, or any other oprganisation that I know of, but I feel rather strongly that it shouldn't matter if I was. Think about GNAA, an open troll and vandal organisation. We have a number of wikis who are open members of that organisation, what should be done about them? Not trying to be difficult, just expressing my opinion, its ok for your to feel differently of course. Cheers, Sam Spade Apply now, exciting opportunities available at Spade & Archer! 15:16, 15 Apr 2005 (UTC)
I have firefox too - but I made some changes - see if that works better for you. * I do think that there is a difference between open and hidden coordination - I think some of the problem that people have with the "powers" on wikipedia is because they feel that there is coordination between them behind the scenes when it is most likely commitment to the same principles. Openness of the discussion is good - Trödel|talk 15:40, 15 Apr 2005 (UTC)