Talk:Daisy cutter

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Disambiguation  
WikiProject iconThis page is within the scope of WikiProject Disambiguation, an attempt to structure and organize all disambiguation pages on Wikipedia. If you wish to help, you can edit the page attached to this talk page, or visit the project page, where you can join the project or contribute to the discussion.

This is now also the name of a 311 song.KannD86 (talk) 04:41, 3 June 2009 (UTC)

I thought a daisy cutter was a really fast-moving shot on goal that stayed on the ground??? Which term was used first? JHK

I realise this question has been hanging around for months now, but the Shorter Oxford Dictionary (1973) dates "daisy cutter" to 1791 with the meaning "a horse that in trotting steps low"; the meaning of a ball that stays low dates from 1889 and is first associated with cricket. --rbrwr

Could someone who knows clarify the point of what the gun barrels/water pipes were used for? It sounds like they were used for the fuze extension mentioned in the first paragraph, but it's not quite sure the way it is now. -- John Owens 10:19 Apr 13, 2003 (UTC)

Even worse than that - how exactly does this clear out foliage? I'm assuming it's not just blast effect (especially as author said it wasn't a FAE), or at least it's some innovatative use of a blast effect...

~ender, 2003-04-13 03:34 MST


I challenge the cricketing definition here. When I was at primary school in the 1950's, the daisy cutter was a bat stroke, being the classic riposte to the sneak, the ball bowled under-arm along the ground that is here described (illogically) as the daisy cutter. The stroke was played with the bat horizontal, close to the ground, flat face towards the ball, in such a way as to cut any daisies. The daisy cutter was not the ball delivery, but was the associated bat stroke. GilesW (talk) 15:22, 26 August 2009 (UTC)